What Metal Detector Should I Buy/Use?
We’ve all been there. Ready to take the plunge to buy our first metal detector, but having no clue where to look or what kind to get. Here are just a few ideas to consider:
1. Get several current books and or treasure hunting magazines on metal detecting and detectors and read them thoroughly. You can get some good ideas from the articles and even from the ads.
2. Decide on the maximum amount of money you’re willing to spend, use the Internet to find all the detectors within your budget that are offered by the major manufacturers, and make a simple list for each of its features.
3. If you know what you want to use your detector for, coins-jewelry, relics, or prospecting for gold, use that to select the detectors from your list that have descriptions stating that they are geared toward that specific task.
4. Check with members of local metal detecting clubs to get their ideas. Most members are more than willing to let you try out their detector(s) so you can get a feel of how they operate.
5. Finally, select the one from the short list generated by following the above steps that you think will be the most fun to learn and easy to use. Check with any local dealers as well as on the Internet for prices and services and owning a detector will become a reality.